The Boulevard Mall, one of Las Vegas’ most iconic shopping centers of the mid-1960s through 80s, will be restored to its former glory, marking its first major renovation in more than two decades.
Sansone Companies, a commercial real estate company, acquired the property in December 2013 for $54.5 million and is looking at the renovation of the Boulevard as a catalyst in the overall redevelopment effort of the Maryland Parkway corridor.
Officially approved in today’s Planning Commission meeting, construction on the 1.2-million square-foot property will commence in mid-2014. Sansone plans to invest approximately $23 to $25 million in the mall’s redevelopment, which will include a new line-up of stores, restaurants and entertainment venues; redesigned façade and landscape; and enhancements to surrounding areas on Maryland Parkway. The changes will take place in several phases and be completed by 2015.
“The Boulevard Mall is renowned in the Las Vegas community but is in need of major updates to restore its relevancy for today’s consumer shopping experience,” said Roland Sansone, Founder of Sansone Companies. “When we took ownership of the property, we not only saw it as an opportunity to breathe new life into the mall, but to Maryland Parkway as well.”
Originally built in 1965, The Boulevard currently features anchors including Macy’s, Sears, Marshalls, JCPenney and Old Navy, in addition to many other tenants.
The improvements to the shopping center will include:
- New Tenants – The Boulevard Mall will announce several new stores, restaurants and family entertainment venues to create a variety of experiences for Las Vegas locals and visitors.
- Farmers Market – The area of the existing south driveway will be transformed into a thriving farmers market featuring approximately 70 vendors. A large children’s playground will also be installed within the space.
- Valet Parking – Once renovations are complete, The Boulevard will feature valet parking for added convenience.
- Free Wi-Fi – The Boulevard Mall will now offer complimentary Wi-Fi service for all visitors.
- Food Court Upgrade – The current food court space will see the addition of several new tenants, as well the installation of four 80-inch plasma televisions broadcasting sports and news.
- Redesigned Exterior – A key component of The Boulevard Mall revitalization will be a brand new façade that faces Maryland Parkway and its corridor. There will be a redesigned entrance including new storefronts, awnings and landscaping, in addition to new modern colors on the exterior.
The Boulevard Mall will remain open for business during construction. The center’s hours of operations are Monday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., and Sunday, noon – 7 p.m.