As we inch closer to the highly anticipated boxing event “MAYHEM: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2,” both Floyd “Money” Mayweather and Marcos “El Chino” Maidana participated in separate “network affiliate days” earlier this week in promotion of the SHOWTIME PPV presentation of their rematch (Pictured: Floyd Mayweather – Photo credit: SHOWTIME/Esther Lin – Mayweather Promotions/Idris Erba).
Here’s what the fighters had to say with just over a month to go before Mayhem in Las Vegas.
FLOYD MAYWEATHER, Eleven-Time, Five-Division World Champion
- “The first fight was action packed for the first four rounds before I took control. He has the will to win like I do. He’s a tough competitor and he has Argentina on his back–and of course I represent the red, white and blue so we must give the fans what they want to see… It’s another blockbuster.
- “On September 13, I will be faster. I will be stronger. I will be a better fighter. This time around it will be a more exciting fight.”
- “I think that every time that Maidana has gone out and fought opponents, other opponents and even myself, he’s done the same thing. Whereas out of the 45 that I’ve faced, I was able to do different things. I can box. I can counter punch. I can box on the move. I can counter punch on the move. The only way that he can fight is to slug.”
Photo credit: SHOWTIME/Esther Lin – Mayweather Promotions/Idris Erba.
MARCOS MAIDANA, Former Welterweight World Champion
- “I don’t know if I’d say this will be easier because even the first one, I didn’t find very difficult. But I already know him and I think it’s a great advantage that I already know Mayweather because he hasn’t given a lot of fighters the rematch.
- “I don’t like the media attention, but I have to do it. It’s part of my job for the fight and for the promotion.
- “I think more attention is coming because Mayweather is very well-known and when you give him trouble and give him a good fight people start to recognize you.”
“MAYHEM: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2,” a 12-round world championship bout for Mayweather’s 147-pound titles taking place Saturday, September 13 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, is promoted by Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona Extra, O’Reilly Auto Parts and “The Equalizer.” The event will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME PPV and is the fourth fight of a lucrative six-fight deal between Mayweather and Showtime Networks Inc.