Justin Johnson has won more races at The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in the past decade than he can count he figures the number is somewhere in the vicinity of 100 in various divisions but he is unlikely to forget the three that he added to that total this summer (Pictured: NASCAR Grand American Modified winner Justin Johnson in Victory Lane – Photo credit: Jeff Speer/Las Vegas Motor Speedway).
Photo credit: Jeff Speer/Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Johnson, 29, won the 76-lap NASCAR Super Late Model main event on July 3 at The Bullring and came back this weekend with victories in 50-lap NASCAR Grand American Modified features Saturday and Sunday nights during the Labor Day Weekend Special.
“This weekend was awesome,” said Johnson, who held off Jason Irwin to win in both feature races. “My spotter was a little late on that call on the last (restart) coming down into turn one there, but thanks to (Irwin) for not turning me around.”
As he did on Saturday night, Johnson led all 50 laps and had to deal with four caution periods that tightened up the field after stretching his lead to more than a second over Irwin. Pat Petrie, CJ Hawley and Steve Durbin rounded out the top five.
Irwin, from Albuquerque, N.M., also has become quite familiar with Victory Lane at The Bullring. He has won four Modified features and six Legend Car main events this season including sweeping both Legend mains this weekend.
“There’s a lot going on (racing in multiple divisions), there’s a lot going on, it’s always busy, it’s always a scramble but it seems like everything always comes together and we’re able to pull it together.”
Peyton Saxton took second in the Legends main, Noah Gragson was third, Jeremy Wood finished fourth and Jordan Dean took fifth.
Adam Simon reached The Bullring’s Victory Lane for the first time in his career when he held off Martin Sullins to win the 25-lap NASCAR Bomber feature on Sunday. Simon led the first seven laps before he surrender the lead to Jason Merlino, who led until he spun out on the backstretch on lap 20. Simon regained the lead at that point and held off a challenge from Sullins for the win. Rich Ham, Sam Jacks and Billy Hern completed the top five.
Also picking up his first victory of the season was Ethan DeGuevara in the 15-lap Bandolero Bandits feature. DeGuevara led flag-to-flag, beating Mason Sargent and Gino Marretti to the finish line.
Ryan Vargas scored his fifth victory of the season in the Bandolero Outlaws main, Ian Anderson recorded his fourth USLCI Thunder Car feature win and Shawn Buckley of Simi Valley, Calif., won the 30-lap USAC HPD Midget Series feature.
CORRECTION: Court Connell was not disqualified after his victory in Saturday night’s 25-lap NASCAR Bomber feature at The Bullring, as was previously reported. Connell earned his first victory in his initial start in the Bomber division this season. Michael Greve was second and Jim Merlino was third.
NEXT RACE Saturday, Sept. 13 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series: NASCAR Super Late Models, NASCAR Super Stocks, NASCAR Bombers, USLCI Legend Cars, USLCI Thunder Cars, IAPMO/Silver Star Plumbing/LasVegasTool.com Bandoleros. The Bullring’s concession stand offers $1 hot dogs, $1 Coca-Cola products and $2 Budweiser beer on each NASCAR Whelen All-American Series race night.
For more information on all events at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, please visit www.LVMS.com and follow LVMS on Facebook and Twitter.
Sunday night’s NASCAR Whelen All-American Series feature-event results from The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- 50-lap NASCAR Grand American Modified feature: 1. Justin Johnson, 2. Jason Irwin, 3. Pat Petrie, 4. CJ Hawley, 5. Steve Durbin, 6. Marty Deluca, 7. Tom Pfundstein, 8. William Guevara, 9. Jim Rogel, 10. Michael Takami.
- 25-lap NASCAR Bomber feature: 1. Adam Simon, 2. Martin Sullins, 3. Rich Ham, 4. Sam Jacks, 5. Billy Hern, 6. Cayla Bronston, 7. Jeff Bargerhuff, 8. Anthony Riegert, 9. Jason Merlino, 10. Michael Greve, 11. Jim Merlino.
- 30-lap USAC HPD Midget Series feature: 1. Shawn Buckley, 2. Jeff Kelley, 3. Christine Breckenridge, 4. Toni Breidinger, 5. Thomas Patterson, 6. Annie Breidinger, 7. Marina Turner, 8. Joel Rayborne, 9. Dezel West, 10. Ashley Hazelton.
- 25-lap Legend Car feature: 1. Jason Irwin, 2. Peyton Saxton, 3. Noah Gragson, 4. Jeremy Wood, 5. Jordan Dean, 6. Cameron Morga, 7. Michael Todd Glazier, 8. Devin Lane, 9. Robert Gayton, 10. TJ Clark, 11. Brian Williams, 12. Brian Lane, 13. Gary Wegener, 14. Gina Tillman, 15. Randy Irwin, 16. David Saxton.
- 25-lap USLCI Thunder Car feature: 1. Ian Anderson, 2. Chris Bosley, 3. Travis Boyle, 4. David Brandon Jr., 5. Doug Germano.
- 15-lap IAPMO/Silver Star Plumbing/LasVegasTool.com Bandolero Bandits feature: 1. Ethan DeGuevara, 2. Mason Sargent, 3. Gino Marretti, 4. Dezel West, 5. Tye O’Hanley, 6. Gianna Marretti, 7. Brodey Warren, 8. Kyle Keller, 9. RJ Smotherman.
- 15-lap IAPMO/Silver Star Plumbing/LasVegasTool.com Bandolero Outlaws feature: 1. Ryan Vargas, 2. Kyle Jacks, 3. Christian Warren, 4. Caden Carlin, 5. Phillip Root, 6. Dylin Smotherman, 7. Aiden Green, 8. Brian Taylor.