Jay Beasley made a triumphant return to Las Vegas on Friday, setting the quickest time in qualifying for Saturday’s $10,000-to-win Open Comp 150 Super Late Model feature during the first day of the Fall Classic at The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Pictured: Zack Green after winning 50-lap Pro Truck/Southwest Tour Truck Series – Photo credit: Jeff Speer/Las Vegas Motor Speedway).
Reigning track champion Scott Gafforini had the 13th-quickest time but won his heat race and advanced to Saturday’s main event. The top three from each of Friday’s four heats qualified for Saturday’s 150-lap feature, along with the top eight qualifiers and the top four finishers from Saturday’s B-main.
While Beasley and Gafforini used their local knowledge to their advantage, the night wasn’t so kind to Dylan Kwasniewski, a NASCAR Nationwide Series driver who is returning to The Bullring during a break in the schedule, and Chris Trickle, the most recent Super Late Model winner at the 3/8-mile paved oval.
Kwasniewski qualified 16th out of 39 cars and then suffered a mechanical issue that knocked him out of his heat race on the second lap. The 14-year-old Trickle, who picked up his first Super Late Model win in only his third start in the division on Oct. 4, qualified 23rd and was knocked out of his heat race on the third lap after another car made contact with his car a lap earlier.
Jeremy Doss, Kelly Admiraal and Las Vegan Dustin Ash also won Super Late Model heat races. Ryan Partridge was the top qualifier in Late Models while Eric Martin and Darrell Midgley won the heat races.
In Friday night’s two main events, Zack Green held off Daniel Shirley to win the 50-lap Pro Truck/Southwest Tour Truck Series feature and Shawn Buckley nipped Toni Breidinger to win the 30-lap USAC HPD Midget Series feature.
The Fall Classic featuring the Open Comp 150 resumes Saturday with racing in seven classes, including a 100-lap race for NASCAR Late Models and the 150-lap Open Comp for Super Late Models a race Beasley won last year. Spectator gates open at 4 p.m., heat races begin at 4:15 and the feature events begin at 6.
NEXT RACE Saturday: The Fall Classic featuring the Open Comp 150: NASCAR Super Late Models, Late Models, Super Stocks, Bombers, USLCI Bandoleros, USAC HPD Midgets, Pro Truck/Southwest Tour Truck Series. The Bullring continues to be one of the best entertainment values in the Las Vegas Valley with affordable ticket prices and family-friendly concession prices including $1 hot dogs, $1 Coca-Cola products and $2 Budweiser beer.
For more information on all events at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, please visit www.LVMS.com and follow LVMS on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Results from Friday night’s Fall Classic featuring the Open Comp 150 at The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- 50-lap Pro Truck/Southwest Tour Truck Series feature: 1. Zack Green, 2. Daniel Shirley, 3. Johnny Pierre, 4. Mason Newhouse, 5. Allen Rizzone, 6. Jeff Hillock, 7. Kendell Woll, 8. Shawn Rizzone, 9. Ed Cutler, 10. John Wong, 11. Alan Larsen, 12. Sam Harris, 13. Tanner Wong, 14. Eric Darinsburg, 15. Cole Reeder, 16. Kevan Larson, 17. Drew Reitsma, 18. Neil Conrad, 19. Ronnie Davis Jr., 20. James West, 21. Jay McDonald.
- 30-lap USAC HPD Midget Series feature: 1. Shawn Buckley, 2. Toni Breidinger, 3. Christine Breckenridge, 4. Jeff Kelley, 5. Michael Fanelli, 6. Cody Jessop, 7. Annie Breidinger, 8. Dezel West, 9. Joel Rayborne.
- USAC HPD Midget Series heat #1 (8 laps): 1. Jeff Kelley, 2. Shawn Buckley, 3. Christine Breckenridge, 4. Joel Rayborne, 5. Annie Breidinger.
- USAC HPD Midget Series heat #2 (8 laps): 1. Cody Jessop, 2. Toni Breidinger, 3. Michael Fanelli, 4. Dezel West.
- NASCAR Super Stock heat (15 laps): 1. Steve Smith, 2. Robert Smotherman, 3. Richard Lavalle, 4. John Spilotro, 5. Robert Negrete Jr., 6. Jeff Johnson.
- NASCAR Late Model heat #1 (15 laps): 1. Eric Martin, 2. Jacob Bishop, 3. Loren Jessen, 4. Kevin James, 5. Donna Gunther, 6. Wayne Jacks, 7. Mike McKearn.
- NASCAR Late Model heat #2 (15 laps): 1. Darrell Midgley, 2. Logan Jewell, 3. Bob Williams, 4. Robert Kiemele.
- Pro Truck/Southwest Tour Truck heat #1 (8 laps): 1. Drew Reitsma, 2. Mason Newhouse, 3. Ed Cutler, 4. Ronnie Davis Jr., 5. Jeff Hillock.
- Pro Truck/Southwest Tour Truck heat #2 (8 laps): 1. Daniel Shirley, 2. Tanner Wong, 3. Johnny Pierre, 4. John Wong, 5. Sam Harris, 6. Kevan Larsen, 7. Shawn Rizzone.
- Pro Truck/Southwest Tour Truck heat #3 (8 laps): 1. Alan Larson, 2. Cole Reeder, 3. Allen Rizzone, 4. Kendell Woll, 5. Neil Conrad, 6. Eric Darinsburg, 7. Jay McDonald.
- NASCAR Super Late Model heat #1 (15 laps): 1. Scott Gafforini, 2. Trevor Emond, 3. Dennis Rock Jr., 4. David Anderson, 5. Barry Karr, 6. Fabian Bray, 7. Chad Stutzman, 8. Andre Prescott.
- NASCAR Super Late Model heat #2 (15 laps): 1. Jeremy Doss, 2. Stan Mullis, 3. Steve Anderson, 4. Dexter Bean, 5. Brandon Carlson, 6. Darrell Midgley, 7. Devon Ostheimer, 8. Mark Shackleford.
- NASCAR Super Late Model heat #3 (15 laps): 1. Kelly Admiraal, 2. Juan Garcia, 3. Matt Johnson, 4. Trevor Christiani, 5. Mike Haslam, 6. Mitch Kleyn, 7. Warren Knipper, 8. Chris Trickle.
- NASCAR Super Late Model heat #4 (15 laps): 1. Dustin Ash, 2. Toni McCray, 3. Hannah Newhouse, 4. Ian Admiraal, 5. Vanessa Robinson, 6. Junior Roddy, 7. Dylan Kwasniewski.