Sports enthusiasts and fans of LA Laker starting point guard Derek Fisher will have the chance to meet Fisher during his book signing event at Lagasse’s Stadium inside The Palazzo on Friday, September 25 from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fisher will be present greeting fans and signing his new compelling book CHARACTER DRIVEN: Life, Lessons, and Basketball in the ultimate sports bar and sportsbook at The Palazzo. Copies of Fisher’s book will be available for purchase the day of the event for $24.99 plus tax. No memorabilia please.
Since his rookie season with the Lakers in 1996, Derek Fisher, “The Fish that Saved LA,” has had a dramatic effect on the NBA. Sharing the court with legendary players like Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant, Fisher, the President of the NBPA, has been a crucial part of some of the most thrilling post-season plays in recent memory. But life for Derek Fisher hasn’t always been a slam dunk. As an athlete, Fisher knows that success on and off the court comes in facing challenges with focus, diligence, teamwork and sacrifice.
In his new book, CHARACTER DRIVEN: Life, Lessons, and Basketball (Touchstone Howard Hardcover/Simon & Schuster; September 8, 2009; $24.99; ISBN: 978-1-4165-8053-9), Fisher shares lessons learned the hard way and how the power of faith carried him through some of the most difficult periods of his life.
Fisher discusses in his book:
- How his faith has helped him on and off the court to “rebound” in the face of adversity.
- How he used the skills he had perfected in his career in his personal life and with dealing with his daughter’s illness.
- How his parents, particularly his father, and his childhood influenced the man he is today
- What his on court ritual is before he shoots a free throw
- What other sports stars (including Tiger Woods and Roger Federer) he admires
Drawing on the power of faith, he demonstrates how anyone can play for a successful team: whether that team is family, community or just happens to be one in the NBA.