PBS will host a preview screening of the documentary “Understanding the Opioid Epidemic” followed by a panel discussion with leading healthcare experts on Thursday, January 11, 2018. The event will be held at the Nicholas J. Horn Theatre at the College of Southern Nevada – North Las Vegas Campus, 3200 E. Cheyenne Ave., North Las Vegas, NV 89030.
Check-in begins at 5:30 p.m. The screening and panel will take place from 6 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.
In the new documentary “Understanding the Opioid Epidemic,” viewers witness stories of people and communities impacted by the epidemic along with information from experts and those at the frontlines. Learn how the nation got into this situation and hear possible solutions and directions for dealing with the crisis.
The panel will be moderated by Jerry Reeves, MD, Senior Vice President of Medical Affairs of HealthInsight and will include discussion of the opioid epidemic with the following leading healthcare professionals:
- Allen Marino, MD – Medical Operations Director, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Frank Nemec, MD – Community Physician, Gastroenterology Associates
- Mel Pohl, MD, DFASAM – Chief Medical Officer of Las Vegas Recovery Center
- Amitabh Singh, MD – Medical Director, Desert Parkway Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
- Stephanie Woodard, Psy.D. – Licensed Psychologist, Senior Advisor on Behavioral Health for the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public and Behavioral Health, Bureau of Behavioral Health, Prevention, and Wellness
The preview screening is hosted by Vegas PBS through its community health outreach service, the Desert Meadows Area Health Education Center (AHEC). Part of Desert Meadows AHEC’s community engagement initiatives include screening events and panels to strengthen health awareness in Southern Nevada by fostering educational interactions between medical professionals and community members.
The preview screening event is free and open to the public. Space is limited. Those interested in attending should RSVP by visiting VegasPBS.org/Workforce/GOAL-Events. For questions or more information about the event, contact Summer Collins, Vegas PBS’ workforce office supervisor, at 702.799.1010 x5363 or [email protected].
Sponsors for the preview screening event include Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, the College of Southern Nevada and the Clark County Medical Society.
The full documentary “Understanding the Opioid Documentary” will air Wednesday, January 17 at 10 p.m. followed by “FRONTLINE: Chasing Heroin” at 11 p.m. on Vegas PBS.