FirstMed Health and Wellness Centers (FirstMed), a federally qualified health center with three locations in Las Vegas, in conjunction with SilverSummit Healthplan and its partners, will host free back-to-school immunization clinics on July 14, July 28 and August 11 to help families meet Nevada’s immunization requirements and prepare kids for the coming school year.
The first event is Saturday, July 14, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at FirstMed’s Shadow Lane Clinic at 400 Shadow Lane, Suite 106.
Immunizations will be provided at no cost and on a first-come, first-served basis to Medicaid eligible, uninsured and underinsured school-age children and adolescents. Available immunizations protect against many communicable diseases including mumps, hepatitis A and B, and Varicella (chicken pox). Children attending school in Clark County must be immunized against pertussis (whooping cough) before they can attend kindergarten and prior to entering the 7th grade.
“This is a great opportunity for parents to make sure their school-aged children are fully immunized before entering school and comply with Clark County school entry requirements,” said Pam Beal, Chief Operating Officer for FirstMed. “Vaccines are safe, effective and protect our communities from diseases.”
In addition to immunizations, other health services including dental education, vision screenings and Medicaid application and enrollment assistance will be offered during all of the back-to-school events.
Nevada laws require certain immunizations for all school-age children in public and private schools to have their immunizations up to date for the new school year. Parents should bring shot records for each of their children to the clinic. If a parent cannot find or does not have the necessary record, staff with Nevada WebIZ, the web-based immunization registry program, will be present to look up the child’s immunization history and may provide a copy of the shot record if needed.
The immunization clinics will be held on these dates at the following locations:
- Saturday, July 14 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
FirstMed Health and Wellness Center
400 Shadow Lane, Suite 106, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Saturday, July 28 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
FirstMed Health Wellness Center
3343 S. Eastern Ave, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Saturday, August 11 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
FirstMed Health and Wellness Center
3940 N. Martin Luther King Blvd. #105B
North Las Vegas, 89032
Before starting school, a child’s immunization record must be up to date and show that the student has had, or at least started, the following series of immunizations:
- Four DPT (diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough) and tetanus) shots. The fifth dose will be needed if the last dose was given before the 4th birthday.
- Three polio doses. But one more if last dose was given before 4th birthday.
- Two MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) shots. One dose must be given on or after the first birthday, and the second dose must be given after age 4 years or upon entry to kindergarten.
For students new to Nevada schools:
- Two Hepatitis A shots (2nd dose must be given at least 6 months after the 1st dose).
- Three Hepatitis B shots (must have a minimum of 4 months between 1st and 3rd dose).
- Two chicken pox (Varicella) doses required (second dose must be given on or after 4th birthday. Doses must be separated by at least 28 days).
- One “Tdap” (tetanus, diphtheria, accellular pertussis) dose is required for ALL students entering 7th grade, unless less than 5 years have elapsed since last diphtheria/ tetanus/ pertussis shot (DTaP, DTP, DT, Td, or ATD).
For additional information about the back-to-school immunization clinics, please visit the FirstMed Health and Wellness Centers website at www.fmhwc.org