Pop Up Pizza at the Plaza Hotel & Casino opened six years ago as the first gourmet pizzeria in downtown Las Vegas. As the gourmet pizza dining industry continues to reach new culinary heights, Pop Up Pizza is evolving its brand with a reimagined menu and refreshed dining experience that evokes a fun, urban atmosphere with a nostalgic hip hop vibe exemplified by a unique mural from SNIPT, a Las Vegas-based mixed media artist (Pictured Mikes Hot Honey Pie).
Located just off the casino floor at the Plaza, Pop Up Pizza’s new menu of handmade pizzas use the highest quality ingredients, many from artisanal vendors, including California tomatoes, pepperoni from the famous Ezzo Sausage Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and mozzarella directly from Brooklyn, New York. All of the pizza dough is made fresh and cold rises for three days before baking. The new pizza recipes were created by Michael Vakneen, the chef who had the original vision for Pop Up Pizza in 2012.
While Pop Up Pizza continues to offer its widely popular Vegan pie with roasted artichokes, red bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach and Daiya vegan mozzarella cheese, some of the new pizzas include:
- Old School Cheese: Paying tribute to the brick oven pies that Italians made after settling in New York City, this pizza starts off with freshly shredded mozzarella and provolone cheeses placed directly on the pizza dough that is then covered with homemade plum tomato sauce to create a crispier, more traditional pizza. It is then topped with fresh Aiello mozzarella, baked, and finished with Sicilian oregano, fresh cut Genovese basil and grated Italian parmesan cheese.
- Suprema: Designed for meat eaters and lovers, this new pizza combines freshly shredded cheese, spicy Italian sausage, Ezzo pepperoni, hot capicola, roasted mushrooms and red bell peppers.
- Mike’s Hot Pepperoni: The pie starts with a homemade onion and garlic cream sauce, made fresh daily. It is topped with freshly shredded cheese and pepperoni from Ezzo Sausage Company. After the pie is baked, the finishing touch is a drizzle of Mike’s Hot Honey, from Brooklyn, New York, a sweet and spicy complement that adds richness and another complexity of flavor.
- Creamy Onion, Spinach & Mushroom: A grown up version of the White Chapel pizza that Pop Up originally opened with, this revised white pie recipe has more flavor with a garlic and onion cream sauce base, freshly shredded cheese, roasted mushrooms, and spinach. It is topped with more garlic cream sauce and fresh Aiello mozzarella cheese.
- Detroit Special: Pop Up is also branching out to other styles of pizza beyond traditional New York pies. The Detroit pie has a special rise that takes 13 hours, during which the dough proofs in a specially made metal pizza pan from the Motor City. The pizza offers a crunchy and crispy cheese crust that tastes like a parmesan cheese cracker while the dough, in contrast, remains soft and pillow-like. The pie’s toppings vary daily based on the freshest ingredients available.
In addition to the new menu, Pop Up Pizza also has refurbished its seating and aesthetics, including a mural titled “The New Style,” by Derek Douglas, professionally known as SNIPT, a Las Vegas based artist who has become best known for creating mixed media Pop Art mashups. The mural’s title references one of the artist’s favorite tracks from the Beastie Boys’ “Licensed To Ill” album.
“The song embodies the vibe that I was trying to capture while creating this mural,” said SNIPT on his inspiration for the artwork. “With the rebranding of Pop Up Pizza, ‘The New Style’ is going to be what really makes this restaurant stand out from the rest. I’m thrilled to be a part of this transition.”