Experience the magic of Chris Van Allsburg’s classic children’s book The Polar Express come to life on the rails of the Nevada Northern Railway. This magical family adventure departs from Ely, Nevada to go see, meet, and ride with Santa at the North Pole.
Watch the Polar Express Train Ride Movie
Just like in the movie and the book, along the way you will meet a lively bunch of Santa’s helpers, including the elves, and the chef. You will be served hot chocolate and cookies while listening to the beloved children’s story of the Polar Express. Guests will sing along with all of the holiday favorites from the the Polar Express movie. Of course, photo-ops are plentiful along the way, so bring your camera and dress the part, if you like. Sure, pajamas are very much in style on this family train ride
Everyone will experience that magic moment when the train arrives at the North Pole, where Santa Claus himself will join you! Santa will board The Polar Express and personally present each child their own special gift so they can always remember the spirit of Christmas, and their trip on the Polar Express.
Santa’s Elves are honored that Nevada Northern Railway’s Polar Express children’s train ride has been voted as the “Best Special Event in Rural Nevada” by readers of Nevada Magazine.
Based on the popular children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg, The Polar Express is a story of a young boy and his sister who hear from their friends that there might not be a Santa Claus. On Christmas Eve, however, the boy hears a distant whistle and sees a locomotive pull into his front yard. He boards it, and and finds that it is on a journey to the North Pole.
After he and the other children disembark, they learn that it is nearly time for Santa to begin his annual Christmas Eve journey. However, he will select one of them to receive the first gift of Christmas, which can be anything that they wish. The young boy is selected, and, after much thought, he chooses a bell from the harness of Santa’s reindeer.
When he begins the trip back to his home, the boy discovers that there was a hole in his pocket, so he lost the bell. The next morning he receives an extra present: the bell with a note from Santa. His parents are disappointed because they do not hear the sweet jingle from it, and they think that it is broken. However, the boy and his sister DO hear the clear, sweet sound because of their faith.
Many years later, the sister could no longer hear the jingle, but the boy always could because he always believed in the spirit of Christmas.
What to expect:
The trains feature on-board restroom and are wheelchair accessible. All trains operate on-time, as they have for over a century, so be at the depot ready for boarding 45 minutes before the departure time. Sorry, pets aren’t allowed on trains or on the grounds. Service animals are always welcome, but please take necessary precautions for this somewhat noisy, industrial environment.
There is open seating, first come, first served, so board with your children and select seating together. The Polar Express Train is pulled by one of our vintage diesel locomotives. The train trip, including visiting with Santa on-board the train takes approximately 90 minutes.
2018 Ticket Prices
Adult – $42
Child (4-12) – $252
Infant (not yet 4) – Free
- Members receive 10% to 90% discount on train tickets depending on their membership level. Membership discounts are applied automatically on-line when you log in to your member account. Memberships start at only $30.
- White Pine County Residents who are not members can sign up for a White Pine Pass for free that entitles you to 10% off train tickets. Sign-up in person for free at the ticket window. Just bring your drivers license to prove residency. Once you have your card the discount is applied automatically when you log in to your account.
- Active Service Military and U.S. Military Veterans receive a 10% discount on excursion trains in addition to their Membership or White Pine discount. Use promo code “military”. Tickets will automatically be set to will-call. Bring your military ID to the ticket window for verification to claim your tickets.
- Groups of 12 or more should call (775) 289-2085 to arrange their group visit at a discount.
- No passes or other discounts apply to the Polar Express trains.
Toll Free: 866-40STEAM (866-407-8326) or 775-289-2085; Fax (775) 289-6284
x1: Ticket Office, General Information, and Train Schedule
x2: Gift Shop and “Be the Engineer” Experience
x3: Groups / Charters and Accounting
x4: Membership Information / Curator
x5: Buildings and Grounds Manager
x6: Mechanical and Track Dept
x7: Mark Bassett, President
x8: After-Hours Emergency Numbers
Nevada Northern Railway Museum
1100 Avenue A
P.O. Box 150040
East Ely, Nevada 89315-0400