First Friday Foundation’s January 4th First Friday’s theme is “Next” – what is “next” in your life as 2019 begins. There will be an interactive community art project where a vision board will be created to show What’s Next (Pictured: Latin-psychedelic band Kurumpaw).
Key elements for this month include:
- First Friday’s Featured Artist – Gem Jaxx is a mixed-media pop artist in Las Vegas. Her unique style is edgy, urban and exploding with vibrant colors. She works with paper, stencils, aerosol, fabric, acrylics, oils and ink. Her works have been displayed throughout Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
- First Friday fireside chats will be in several locations throughout the event. Some of the fireside chats will include poetry and reading passages from favorite books.
- Sports Bar at the 1st and Boulder Bar where attendees can watch the Golden Knights Hockey Game at First Friday.
- Live Entertainment – Check website for complete list. 6:30-07:30 p.m. Elmer Abapo; 8:00-09:00 p.m. Folktales and 9:30-10:30 p.m. Kurumpaw, Las Vegas Latin-psychedelic band.
- Fun Zone –There are many fun activities for families throughout the event, including Future Makers, ABC Rock Climbing Wall and interactive art projects. Scales and Tails are also back, featuring several different reptile species to discover.
- Hemp-Way is dedicated to the education and promulgation of the hemp movement, offering a variety of speakers, exhibits and vendors featuring hemp-based products from food to fashion to building materials and art making supplies. January’s theme for Hemp-Way is “Hemp is New.”
- FIRST FRIDAY FOOTPRINT – the main stage is located at the south end of Art Way parking lot. Majority of artists/vendors are placed on First Street, extending to Hoover. Premium Parking available in lot in front of Mission building and Art Square (accessed via Coolidge and South Casino Center Blvd.). The food trucks have relocated to an area on Coolidge Avenue and 1st Street – check out the food!
The First Friday Foundation will post updates and special offers on scheduled First Friday events and other programming through its social media channels on Facebook at www.facebook.com/firstfridaylasvegas and Twitter @FirstFridayLV. The website, www.firstfridaylasvegas.com, is active, and applications for artists and vendors are currently being accepted for next month’s event.
JANUARY 4TH FIRST FRIDAY HIGHLIGHTS:
Alternative to driving to the event:
- Las Vegas Rickshaw pedi cabs drop off and pick up at 1st Street and Hoover Avenue. Rides from downtown Las Vegas to First Friday and back all night.
- Downtown Loop also provides transportation throughout downtown and to First Friday during the event.
Art Style: Emerging and established artists, arts, crafts curated by artist Izaac Zevalking. Interactive painting for those who want to explore their own creativity. Over 60 original artists show their works at the event.
ArtWalk 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. showcases work by emerging Las Vegas artists. Check out the artist booths in main festival area. Be sure to stop into the Arts Factory and Art Square and visit the many art galleries and studios.
Community Productions Drum Circle – join them.
Fun Zone: There are many fun activities for families throughout the event, including DISCOVERY Children’s Museum, Future Makers, ABC Rock Climbing Wall, Tour of Terror Bus and interactive art projects. Scales and Tails are also back, featuring several different reptile species to discover.
Music 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. Main Stage features a variety of musical acts throughout the evening. Check website for complete list. 6:30-07:30 p.m. Elmer Abapo; 8:00-09:00 p.m. Folktales and 9:30-10:30 p.m. Kurumpaw.
Hemp-Way – 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. On the corner of Boulder Way and 1st Street. Dedicated to the education and promulgation of the hemp movement, offers a variety of speakers, exhibits and vendors featuring hemp-based products from food to fashion to building materials and art making supplies. January’s theme for Hemp-Way is “Hemp is New.”
Food & Drink 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. Explore the many options for your taste buds as the First Friday culinary experience is back in full force with delicious options from over 30 gourmet food trucks all in an area on Coolidge Avenue and 1st Street. There are also other artisan food vendors within the festival. Enjoy drinks at the many bars both in the First Friday event area and nearby in the arts district.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
5 p.m. – 11 p.m.