Towering at 550 feet in the air, High Roller is the iconic engineering marvel that forever changed the Las Vegas skyline. On Sunday, March 31, High Roller at The LINQ Promenade, the world’s tallest observation celebrates its fifth birthday (Photo courtesy of David Burke).
To celebrate, birthday special offers will begin on Friday, March 29 and will be available until the end of April.
IN THE BEGINNING
Las Vegas is a place of superlatives, home to some of the brightest lights and largest hotels. When a new attraction is added, it can easily fade into the 24-hour action and activity that defines the city.
Photo credit: Denise Truscello / WireImage
The addition of High Roller in 2014 was far more than just another attraction, however, and its arrival made an indelible impact on the Las Vegas Strip. In fact, this striking observation wheel did the opposite, permanently altering the Las Vegas skyline and creating a brand-new, bird’s-eye view of the city appreciated by millions of visitors from around the world.
Photo credit: Denise Truscello / WireImage
Anchoring Caesars Entertainment’s open-air, pedestrian-friendly destination The LINQ Promenade, High Roller is a 21st-century architectural achievement. This eye-catching attraction is visible from miles away, as well as an iconic monument noted for its impressive craftsmanship, groundbreaking engineering elements and innovative development team that turned vision into reality.
The observation wheel is crafted from the world’s finest materials and made possible by myriad teams who worked tirelessly for four years to develop and build the attraction. With a unique single-rim design and 28 spacious, spherical cabins, visitors enjoy the memorable 30-minute rotation experience that provides breathtaking 360-degree views of Las Vegas. The same year it opened, Guinness World Records designated High Roller as “The World’s Tallest Observation Wheel.”
The High Roller Wheelhouse will be adorned with birthday décor including balloons and streamers throughout the weekend.
As for the wheel itself, five cabins will be decorated for its momentous birthday, filled with large-scale games for guests to play, including Connect Four and Jenga, as a way for riders of all ages to be entertained and play during the 30-minute rotation.
Las Vegas locals and visitors are invited to participate in the birthday celebrations with numerous special ticket offers available Friday, March 29 through Tuesday, April 30:
- High Roller 5th Birthday Package: Priced at $50 per person, the package includes:
- High Roller anytime ticket
- “High Roller Commemorative Book,” the official glossy souvenir book chronicling the High Roller’s creation and construction.
- Rock-N-ROLLER* fifth birthday cocktail inside The Sky Lounge. The drink will feature apple pucker, blue Curaçao and frozen margarita mix.
- Commemorative photo, complete with available birthday props in the booth area.
- During the High Roller’s birthday weekend (March 29 through March 31), youth tickets (7-17) will be $5 per person and free for guests six and under.
To book these offers, click here for more information.
Numerous partners at The LINQ Promenade will offer special birthday drinks and desserts throughout the weekend of March 29 through March 31 including:
- Virgil’s Real BBQ – High Roller Margarita (Espolòn Blanco Tequila, fresh lime juice and Grand Marnier kicker)
- Chayo Mexican Kitchen + Tequila Bar – High Roller Margarita (Cenote Blanco Tequila, fresh lime juice, Cointreau and ginger syrup)
- Flour & Barley – Brick Oven Pizza – High Roller Garlic Knots (on slices of pizza)
- Haute Doggery – Bacon BBQ Dog (grilled Sahlen’s hot dog, coleslaw, barbeque sauce, cheese sauce and crumbled bacon)
- Maxie’s – High Roller Donuts (topped with blue and white icing and an edible High Roller logo)
- Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery – Pomegranate Smash (Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Disaronno Amaretto, fresh lime juice, Monin Orgeat syrup and POM juice)
- Off The Strip Bistro + Bar – High Roller appetizer (Feta crusted lamb chop with chimichurri sauce)
- The wheel is 550 feet tall, which is the equivalent 37 giraffes stacked on top of each other.
- The wheel utilizes 2,000 LED lights displaying thousands of colors, which are choreographed to music nightly during the “Lights at The LINQ” show. These lights also enable the High Roller to be lit in thematic colors to celebrate every special occasion and holiday.
- The wheel completes a full rotation in approximately 30 minutes, allowing guests to enjoy 360-degree views.
- The wheel structure has 112 cables.
- Crews used 7.2 million pounds of steel to construct the wheel.
- Fabrication of the wheel began in late 2011 with components fabricated and flown in from around the world including China, Japan, France, Sweden, Italy, Netherlands and Germany, as well as Colorado, California and Las Vegas.
- Each one of the 28 High Roller cabins can hold up to 40 people and 1,120 people can simultaneously ride the High Roller.
- The wheel structure boasts 7.2 million pounds of steel and is reinforced by 112 cables measuring nearly 4.8 miles when laid out end-to-end.
- Each cabin weighs 44,000 pounds and measures 22 feet in diameter.
Since Opening in 2014…
- The wheel has rotated 63,030 times.
- There have been 450 weddings, 55 proposals and 10 gender reveals.
KEY HISTORIC DATES
- Feb. 29, 2012: Ground breaks on the construction for the High Roller.
- Oct. 12, 2012: Erection of the wheel structure begins.
- March 15, 2013: The hub and spindle of the wheel is complete.
- July 5, 2013: The first section of the rim is installed.
- Sept. 9, 2013: The 28th and final piece of the High Roller’s rim is installed.
- Nov. 6, 2013: The first of the 28 cabins is attached to the High Roller rim.
- Dec. 3, 2013: The final cabin is attached to the High Roller rim.
- Feb. 28, 2014: High Roller officially lights up the Las Vegas skyline.
- March 31, 2014: High Roller welcomes its first ticketed passengers.
- April 17, 2014: Guinness World Records names High Roller “The Tallest Observation Wheel in the World.”
- July 14, 2016: Yoga in the Sky is launched.
- Aug. 24, 2016: Chocolate Tastings with Ethel M Chocolates is launched, making it the only experience of its kind in North America.
- Nov. 1, 2016: Lights at The LINQ begins its nightly run with a choreographed light show.
- Nov. 6, 2018: FLY LINQ opens, becoming the first zipline on the Las Vegas Strip.
- March 29 – 31, 2019: High Roller to celebrate its fifth birthday.
*For guests wishing to purchase the special fifth birthday cocktail, Rock-N-ROLLER, available inside The Sky Lounge, the price is $10.