Celebrate the special men in your life this Father’s Day in a new and fun way with a trip to the Nevada Northern Railway Museum; show them how much they mean to you by spending the day together at a National Historic Landmark, learning and making memories together.
Those looking to celebrate their families’ men of honor in a unique way this year should look no further than the adventure excursion planned especially for dad at the Railway Museum on Sunday, June 16.
Nevada Northern Railway is gifting the special men of Father’s Day with free rides aboard a historic passenger train. Riders will enjoy a 90-minute expedition through the remarkable Robinson Canyon, departing at 9:30 a.m. If they can’t get enough trains, the Valley Vista train will depart at 1 p.m., climbing above the valley toward McGill.
“Help dad achieve his dream and skip the tie this year,” said Nevada Northern Railway president, Mark Bassett. “Give the men of honor what they really want, which is to spend time with you. The best part of a trip to the railway museum is that dads, grandads and anyone being honored this Father’s Day, can also get a little throttle-therapy by taking the controls of one of our steam or diesel locomotives.”
Open Monday – Saturday from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and on Sundays from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., the museum is located at 1100 Ave. A in Ely, Nevada. The historic trains operate daily between three communities on 30 miles of track in White Pine County. Nevada Northern Railway is a National Historic Landmark that includes a full-service 56-acre railyard. The museum consists of dozens of buildings, shops and structures, four steam locomotives, six diesel locomotives and over 60 rolling stock pieces like vintage carriages and wagons.
The museum offers regular caboose and engine rides as well as 90-Minute Train Rides on the steam excursion train, which is pulled toward Ruth Mine by a century-old steam locomotive. On certain weekends, the museum also hosts diesel train excursions as well as reenacted train robbery rides. Guests can immerse themselves in the lifestyle and stay the night in a historic caboose or a railroad bunkhouse.
June 2019 Events:
- Sat. June 1: Copper Spike Limited, 4:30 p.m. | Experience the story of where the world met and became one as a 1919 immigrant joining Mark Requa’s big dream that created the copper mine, mill, smelter and the railroad.
- Fri. June 7: Star Train, 7:30 p.m. | Join the Dark Rangers of Great Basin National Park on a train ride to a temporary observatory to gaze upon the heavens.
- Sat. June 8: Rockin’ & Rollin’ Geology Train, 4:30 p.m. | Learn about the rich mining and geology history of the Robinson Mining District during a lively presentation from a local geologist complete with real ore samples.
- Sat. June 15: Pony Express, 4:30 p.m. | Join a commemoration of the famous Pony Express route that linked the country together in 1860 and enjoy a souvenir envelope and stamp at the end of your journey.
- Sat. June 22: Copper Spike Limited, 4:30 p.m. | Get a hands-on look at creating the copper mine, mill, smelter and railroad.
- Sat. June 29: Wild West Limited, 4:30 p.m. | Join a wild-west adventure complete with cowboys, horses and even outlaws, so hold onto your wallet!
For more information and a complete listing of scheduled events, visit nnry.com.
About the Nevada Northern Railway: The Nevada Northern Railway Museum is a designated National Historic Landmark. Voted the state’s Best Rural Museum and the Best Place to Take the Kids by readers of Nevada Magazine, the Nevada Northern Railway Museum also has been featured on Modern Marvels, American Restorations and on PBS. For more information, call 775-289-2085, log onto NNRY.com or to get the latest news “Like” the Railway’s Facebook page.