Life is short, but this year just got longer. The world’s timekeepers recently announced that an extra second will be added to 2008 on Dec. 31, making it the longest year since 1992. This “leap second” shouldn’t go to waste, so several of Harrah’s properties in Las Vegas have compiled a list of the top 10 ways to spend the precious extra time at the most exciting stretch of the Strip.
1. SEAL IT WITH A KISS. A kiss is perhaps the most enjoyable way to spend an extra second, and there are so many reasons to pucker up at Flamingo Las Vegas. Catch headlining superstars Donny & Marie and blow them a kiss as they work the Flamingo showroom and interact with the audience. Or check out the sexy late night show, “X” Burlesque and you’ll definitely be in the mood for goodnight kiss!
2. SNAP A PHOTO. Las Vegas is the ultimate town for making unrivaled memories and it only takes a second to capture one with a photograph. Stop by Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall & Saloon, located on the famed corner of Flamingo Blvd. and The Strip to snap a pic of you and a friend with the legendary 400 lb. Elvis impersonator, “Big Elvis” or put your face in the stand-up cutouts from the Wild Wild West.
3. HIT 21…WITH ELVIS. Dealertainers at Imperial Palace make the gaming experience unforgettable. At any time between 12 p.m. and 4 a.m., your blackjack dealer may step back from the table and belt out one of his/her character’s greatest hits. Michael Jackson, Cher, Dolly Parton, Stevie Wonder, and of course, Elvis are among the more than 20 celebrities represented. It only takes a second to lay down your bet!
4. LAUGH. What better way to close out a long year than with a genuine smile and a good laugh? Harrah’s Las Vegas boasts some of the best comedy in the city with headliner Rita Rudner, The Improv comedy club and comedic magician Mac King. Flamingo is home to hilarious comedians George Wallace, Vinnie Favorito and comedic magician Nathan Burton.
5. DO A SHOT. With an array of imaginative cocktails to choose from served up by world-renowned flair bartenders, Harrah’s Carnaval Court is a fantastic place to order a tasty shot day or night. Carnaval Court was voted one of the best flair bars in the country and is open daily from 12 p.m. – 2 a.m. (3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday).
6. WINK. Nightlife is a blast at Margaritaville at Flamingo, with incredible live music and a packed house of partygoers. The energetic bar area is a great location to wink across the bar at someone special. Who knows, you may meet someone to share the delicious new Margaritaville breakfast with the following morning.
7. TWIRL ON THE DANCE FLOOR. Just because the world is slowing down, it doesn’t mean you have to. Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill at Harrah’s Las Vegas features incredible live music nightly, providing the perfect reason to take an extra twirl around the dance floor.
8. TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH. Since 2008 has a “leap second,” it’s only fitting to use the time to make a leap of faith. It just takes a second to sign your name on a wedding certificate at the beautiful Flamingo wedding chapel or sign on the dotted line before getting a tattoo at Vince Neil Ink at O’Sheas.
9. SWIPE A ROOM KEY. Located in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, the fabulous Flamingo is home to the hot new GO Rooms. The GO Rooms have a sleek design and feature sophisticated hi-tech amenities. As an added bonus, Flamingo’s room keys are now also linked to the Total Rewards system so loyal customers can more easily earn reward credits for every dollar they spend.
10. TOSS THE WINNING BEER PONG BALL. The game born in rec rooms and frat houses across the country has found a home on the Las Vegas Strip at O’Sheas Casino. O’Sheas boasts new beer pong tables, so use the extra second of ’08 to make the winning toss and become the Beer Pong Champion of your friends. It can serve as practice for the World Series of Beer Pong, Jan. 1 – 5 at the Flamingo.
For more information or to find your own perfect way to spend the leap second in Las Vegas, check out www.harrahs.com.