Mike Maggio of San Dimas, Calif. once again dominated the exotic Pro Street category at the PSCA MagnaFuel Las Vegas Nationals Presented By Goodyear Racing today at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Maggio, the weekend’s No. 1 Qualifier at 6.040 sec./246.98 mph, faced Rod Burbage of Anderson, Calif. in the final round of eliminations. Although Burbage posted a better reaction time in the right lane, he hazed the tires not far from the starting line and the trophy and winner’s check went to Maggio and his supercharged MagCo Drilling Camaro. For the record books, Maggio’s winning run was 245.81 mph at 6.040 sec.
A number of local racers scored wins in the final rounds:
- Matt Rhodes (Las Vegas) defeated Gary Soulages (Alameda, Calif.) in the Outlaw 10.5 finale.
- Jason Kenzevich (Pahrump) defeated D.J. Reid (San Jose, Calif.) in the final round of Outlaw 8.5 eliminations.
- Al Alguire’s 1968 Barracuda (Las Vegas) took the win in the Hot Street class over Rod DeWild’s 1964 Chevy II (Thornton, Colo.).
- Daniel Henderson (Boulder City) took the Top Comp win when his opponent’s chute opened during his burn-out. David Tinlin (Bishop, Calif.) could only watch as Henderson “singled” to victory.
- Glen Copley (Las Vegas) defeated Michael Hadtrath (N. Las Vegas) in the Quick Street final.
- Monroe, Utah’s Scott Parsons – a longtime regular in The Strip at LVMS’ bracket series – defeated Charlie Jorgensen of Wildomar, Calif. for Mean Street honors.
- The Mustang Madness class went to Justen Spencer of Las Vegas over Kelly Davis of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Super Street: Randy Kersey (Moreno Valley, Calif.) defeated George Chatterton (Escondido, Calif.).
- Street Muscle: Kevin Houmard (San Dimas, Calif.) defeated Alex Rogeo (Santa Clarita, Calif.).
- Extreme Drag Radial: Rich Hoyle (Palmdale, Calif.) defeated Allen Stewart (Palmdale, Calif.).
- Wild Street: Russ Delia Jr. (Los Angeles) defeated Jeff Young (Idaho Falls, Idaho).
- Street Challenge: Rick Hatch (Riverside, Calif.) defeated Ron Shaw (Upland, Calif.).
- Open Comp: Mike Nordahl (Fontana, Calif.) defeated Doug Crumlich (Irvine, Calif.).
- Bracket 1: Ryan Mangus (Rialto, Calif.) defeated Scott Carpenter (Lake Havasu City, Ariz.).
In Jr, Dragster competition, Josh Gagnon of Las Vegas defeated Taylor Lee Taylor of Las Vegas in the Jr. 8-12 category. The Jr. 13-18 class was won by Adrienne Markham of Las Vegas over Tracy Vetter of Henderson.
For more information, please call LVMS at (702) 644-4444 or visit www.LVMS.com.