Tip your glass to the latest rage in culinary pairings with artisanal beer from Bear Republic Brewing Company and an extraordinary five-course meal by Chef Schuyler Schultz at Sonoma Cellar at Sunset Station.
The evening will begin with an introduction by Chef Schultz and then Bear Republic Brewmaster Richard (Ricardo) G. Norgrove will take the reigns, explaining each beer as it’s served. Each course pairing will have Norgrove describing what makes that particular beer special, what went into its creation and why it was paired with that particular course. The evening’s menu features:
- First course – Butter-poached sea scallop with a tiger-eye whitefish caviar, Tahitian vanilla and chervil. This is paired with a seven year-aged Sammy’s Strong Ale, a Belgian-style ale.
- Second course – Grilled Treviso salad with heirloom tomatoes and sunflower sprouts with a Huilerie Beaujolais citron vinaigrette and paired with Racer 5 India Pale Ale.
- Third course – Artisanal Nürnberger bratwurst served in a brown butter with sultanas raisins, fried parsley and potato purée. This course is paired with Red Rocket, a strong American red ale.
- Fourth course – House-smoked Niman Ranch pork leg with grilled Frog Hollow Farms peaches and served with peach chutney and grilled scallions. This is paired with Big Bear Black Stout.
- Fifth course – House-made caramel corn served with spiced cashews and Valrhona Manjari Madagascar chocolate, and paired with a 2000 vintage Olde Scoutter’s Barleywine.
Following the dinner, Chef Schuyler will take reprieve from the kitchen to mingle with guests and answer any questions they may have. The interactive dinner begins at 6 p.m. on Thursday, July 16 and costs $75 plus tax and gratuity per person. Guests must be 21 years and older for this specialty menu. Sonoma Cellar will be open for patrons wanting to dine on its regular menu as well. Reservations are required by calling 702.547.7777.