A frightening police pursuit spilled onto the campus of Legacy High School Thursday morning after North Las Vegas police officers chased an armed suspect through a neighborhood and onto school grounds. Authorities said officers opened fire during the confrontation after the man allegedly pointed a handgun at police while running across the campus.
North Las Vegas Police Armed Suspect Pursuit Ends at Legacy High

The incident began around 10:41 a.m. near the intersection of Deer Springs Way and North 5th Street. According to the North Las Vegas Police Department, officers first responded to reports of a suspicious man allegedly concealing merchandise and behaving erratically inside a nearby business.
Police said the suspect fled the store when officers arrived. During the chase, authorities alleged the man pointed a firearm at one of the responding officers before running through a residential neighborhood toward Legacy High School.
Further reports showed that the suspect continued brandishing the handgun as officers pursued him onto the school campus. “At least one officer discharged their department-issued firearm during the encounter,” police stated in an official release.
Authorities later confirmed the suspect also fired his weapon during the confrontation. Officers eventually found the man suffering from what police described as an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Legacy High School Went Into Lock Down Mode

In light of the hair-raising incident, the institutions nearby went into emergency mode to secure the students. The assailant had rushed into the school premises while class was in session, leading the school authorities at Legacy High to effect a lockdown. As a form of precaution, the Northeast Career and Technical Academy also went on temporary lockdown.
Additional reports showed that several nearby roads were temporarily blocked as investigators processed evidence connected to the shooting. After apprehending the perpetrator, officers transported him to the UMC Trauma Center, where he was confirmed to be in stable condition. Road closures remained in place after the suspect was taken into custody.
Officers guaranteed the safety of the environs, in their statement, writing, “No officers, students, or members of the public were injured during the incident.”
The Suspect Has Been Identified

As reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, a further probe into the North Las Vegas police shooting incident has determined the identification of the armed suspect. Jail booking records from the Clark County Detention Center show that the man is registered as 21-year-old Jallel Jenkins-Harris.
Jenkins-Harris is currently facing multiple felonies, including resisting an officer, possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, attempted murder with a deadly weapon, robbery, and attempted home invasion. His formal charges also include possession of stolen property and possession of a deadly weapon on school property.
The Jenkins-Harris incident is the second police shooting and pursuit recorded so far in the Las Vegas Valley in 2026. According to an arrest report from April, officers apprehended 48-year-old Christopher Reeves before what could have turned deadly.
Reeves was booked for a felony charge after his mother reported him for sending her an email where he threatened to shoot up a school. Reeves’ mother believed he struggled mentally, hence the alarming situation.





